Saturday, April 18, 2015

I was to go to US in three months. I wanted to learn some form of dance, so as to be able to socialize better when I arrived in US. I looked around, by which I mean googled. I found only one academy that existed in Kathmandu that could teach me. Their website said it was the only Salsa Dance Academy in Kathmandu. I found little information online or offline to dispute their claim. Even the best Gyms offered only Zumba classes.
I was apprehensive and slightly nervous going into the academy. However, some of my nervousness was offset my nostalgia – the street leading to academy was opposite my old school. I arrived academy in good spirits. I enquired about the classes and payment. The owner Shrestha was willing to give me the student discount, given I showed him my admission letter. He was a man of few words to say the least. All my attempts to start a conversation were met by monosyllabic answers. I wanted to take a trial class before committing, as I was not sure the academy would deliver on my expectations. The owner did not entertain any of my wishes and I was in half a mind to leave when he agreed to let me join the class on the condition that I show him my admission letter letter and the owner’s wife stepped in.
She was much more conversational than her husband. She kept up the conversation and told me that they had already started classes last even though there was a strike. However, she told me not to worry, as they don’t teach anything in the first class. I had to wait and hour and half as the beginner classes had been postponed.
I got to see the most curious bunch of people while waiting for my class. All the students in advanced class were dressed like people out of fashion magazine. Also, they had a very different demeanor than the people I come across day to day. They looked secure, they were rich enough to indulge their idiosyncrasies – in short they looked pampered. Now do not mistake my saying they were pampered as me criticizing them. I loved it. The atmosphere the people there formed helped me forget that we were in the least developed country in South Asia. I always prefer people who are confidently idiosyncratic people to people who list out all the advantages they did not get.
An hour later my classes began. We were a bunch of good-looking English speaking individuals. The instructor herself seemed a bit unsure of herself though. She did a good job of teaching us basic moves even though she herself got confused at times. She has some very good advice on the mistakes that a learner makes when learning those moves for the first time. She also had great advice for paired dance. All the pairs were feeling awkward and looking at their feet throughout the dance. Instructor advised us to look up and if it felt to look at each then look at road, ceiling anything but the feet. I was able to learn the moves very quickly as I am good at following patterns. (A thing that would prove to be a disadvantage next week as I would criticize my partner too much for not being able to keep up).

I went back home that day very happy. Doing dance changes you within in ways tough to explain. It gives you confidence. It is like learning boxing or learning to ride a bike. Also, you have to be present in the moment even if you are trying to remember the next step. I know I will be going back there again and again.

No comments: